Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Food Review: Kampua and Bian Nvk Found in Concrete Jungle

Up to date, I had been to two places that sell Sarawak Noodles, more specifically, Sibu’s famous Foochow noodles, known as kampua.

Note: Kampua is very different from kolok mee. Kampua is like one of the must-try dish in Sibu whereas kolok mee is more popular in Kuching.

IMG_0294

First was found at Restoran Pertama in Pandan Jaya. It is a hawker stall with the name ‘Sarawak Noodles’ written. You can get to choose either small or big portion. It costs RM3.80 and RM4.50 respectively. For me, small portion is more than enough and note, I could not finish it.

In my opinion, the taste or maybe the sauce, is too strong for me. Probably because I ordered kampua tou you lak which literally means, spicy kampua with soy sauce. Still, the taste is there.

I had brought my brother and some other people from Sibu to this place to try out the kampua here. Good rates were given and believe it or not, my brother goes back to that place like 3 times in less than 2 months.

The owner has been living in Kuala Lumpur for approximately 10 years. However, he just started his business 2 years ago.

Apart from kampua, they sell Sarawak laksa too which was allegedly quite spicy compared to what you get in SMK Methodist’s canteen or Aloha.

Click here if you want to know how to get there.

73660_453144311739_554926739_5268393_2681234_n

IMG_0439

Just last weekend, I went to Restoran Strawberry located in Bandar Puteri, Puchong. You will see a hawker stall

Not only they serve kampua, they have bian nvk as shown above, my favourite dish too! That is not all, they have cao cai hung ngan or cao cai noodles.

I had tried kampua there and I prefer this compared to the one in Pandan Jaya. The taste is mild. We, Sarawakians, prefer mild-taste food. However, it is not worth the price. It cost you RM4.00 for that portion shown in the picture above.

As for bian nuvk, I had two plates that day. However, it is not as good as the one I can get at the food court located above the wet market which is facing SMK Tung Hua in Sibu. The layer is very thick and there is not much meat. Still, the taste is authentic. The price is RM3.00 with 9 pieces of bian nvk.

Click here if you want to know how to get there.

No comments: